Dr. Carlyn Tamura, PsyD.
615 Piikoi Street, Honolulu, Hi 96814
10 Common Teenage Girl Problems and Their Solutions
Teenage, as all say, is the best phase in one’s life! It brings with it a lot of cheer, enthusiasm, fun and excitement. As your teenager ushers into all things new, she encounters a lot of ‘firsts’.
Like every coin with two sides, this wonderful phase comes with a lot of challenges too. You might find your teenage girl facing plethora of problems. Teenage is a time that is filled with confusion and small matters seem really big.
As a parent, you need to extend help to your girl in facing these teenage girl behavior problems.
This probably features as the number one problem on every teenage girl’s problem list. This is the time when her body is constantly changing and she has to cope with it. To top it, she keeps seeing and hearing about these figure-perfect bodies. Media and peer pressure also play havoc.
- Monitor your teenager very closely.
- Discuss how these ‘looks’ are more of fads.
- See to it that your young girl doesn’t adapt unhealthy eating habits.
- Ensure the people she spends time with do not act in an adverse manner.
This is a time when your teenage girl has to constantly prove her mettle by scoring high, doing well in exams and on other educational fronts. This creates immense pressure on your young girl and leads to stress and undue pressure.
- Make your teenage girl understand that she should study well and score good marks, but that grades are no way of judging someone. Low grades do not make anyone less educated or less talented. There is always another test she can prove herself in.
- Encourage her to take up extra-curricular activities that she likes. This will help her unwind while building more focus and concentration power.
Teenage already comes with a lot of problems and challenges. The sudden increased flow of sex hormones inside the body makes it even worse. You might find your girl falling for her first crush and vulnerable to romantic liaisons. A lot of teenage girls experience healthy crushes and early-age love too. However, peer pressure, changing times and the advancement of media has sort of associated sex to such teenage romantic relationships. This makes your teenager girl feel that sex it but natural in romantic relations even at an early age. Also, this is an extremely confusing time for her, in terms of precautions, safe sex and how much involvement is okay and by choice.
- Tell her it is perfectly alright to say no to sex.
- Educate her on the sex front. It is very important for you to pass all relevant information about sex as and when she grows. Be open and discuss sex with her, it is not a taboo.
- Teach her how to be safe and all about precaution too, as you may not always be able to control her relationships.